GHAMRO Membership Categories
Outlines the different requirements for Full, Associate and Provisional Membership of GHAMRO and the rights assigned to members in each category
GHAMRO Membership Admission Requirements
Admission requirements for both author and publisher members and details termination of membership Successors to Deceased Members
How to become the successor to a deceased member
Section A - Membership
(1) (2) After 1 year's provisional membership aggregate earnings of Ghs.1,000 (author/composer) and Ghs.2,000 (publisher) over a period not exceeding three continuous years.(3) After 1 year's membership aggregate earnings of Ghs.2,000 (author) and Ghs.5,000 (publisher) over a period not exceeding three continuous years. Rights (i) Receive Report & Accounts (ii) Attend General Meetings (iii) 1 vote on a show of hands or on a postal ballot (i) Receive Report & Accounts (ii) Attend General Meetings (iii) Eligible to nominate or be nominated to Board (iv) 1 vote on a show of hands or 10 votes on a poll or postal ballot (i) Receive Report & Accounts (ii) Attend General meetings (iii) Eligible to nominate or be nominated to Board (iv) 1 vote on a show of hands: 50 votes on a poll or postal ballot plus 50 additional votes if either of the under-noted criteria is fulfilled (3) (5).
1. Discretion is retained by the Board of Directors to elect below the criteria in appropriate circumstances.
2. Promotions to Full and Associate membership are automatic. After the end of each financial year, members' earnings are examined to determine those who qualify for promotion. They are then notified of their new member status. The new status is not lost by any subsequent decline in GHAMRO earnings below the level of current criteria.
3. Successors to deceased members are eligible for promotion to Full membership if they meet the same earnings criteria as publisher members. However, successors are not eligible for appointment to the Board of Directors, nor are they entitled to the fifty additional votes on a poll or postal ballot (note 5) unless also qualifying for Full membership as an author or publisher in their own right.
4. The earnings criteria shown above are for promotions from 2011 onwards. They will be reviewed every five years.
Minimum criteria for additional FULL MEMBER VOTES
5. To qualify for additional Full Member Votes, a member must have aggregate GHAMRO earnings of 10 times the full membership criterion as at the preceding
31st December, during the 20 years or less up to the preceding 31st December. The earnings required are Ghs.2,000 (author) and Ghs.5,000 (publisher).
The criteria governing admission to Provisional membership of GHAMRO are as follows:
Songwriters, Composers, Lyricists and Arrangers of Public Domain Music, qualify for membership of GHAMRO one of their works has been either:-
a) commercially recorded (i.e. not a demo), or
b) broadcast on TV or Radio within the past two years, or
c) performed in public on at least 12 occasions within the past two years.
Each applicant must also submit proof of identity. A copy of the applicant’s birth certificate is normally sufficient and a reference from an existing GHAMRO member.
Applicants must also sign and return the Deed of Assignment issued to them at the time of their application.
In order to qualify for GHAMRO membership a music publisher must have a catalogue of at least 15 works all of which have been commercially published or commercially recorded. In addition:-
a) The authors of the 15 qualifying works must be members of GHAMRO, or of one of its affiliated societies.
b) The publisher must have acquired rights in at least 5 of the works for a territory within the previous year.
A copy of the recordings or of the sheet music must be submitted in support of the application for the qualifying 15 works. Copies of all assignments between the applicant and the authors in respect of the works concerned must also be supplied. A sheet of the publisher’s headed notepaper should be provided.
- Individual applicants must also submit a copy of their birth certificate
- Partnerships must provide a copy of the partnership agreement
- Limited companies must provide a copy of the Memorandum and Articles of Articles of Association
- Next >>